Committee: Manuela Ciotti & Tom Hoogervorst
- Arnold, David, 2016. Toxic Histories. Poison and Pollution in Modern India. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bernards, Brian C., 2015. Writing the South Seas. Imagining the Nanyang in Chinese and Southeast Asian Postcolonial Literature. Seattle & London: University of Washington.
- Chin, Tamara T., 2014. Savage Exchange. Han Imperialism, Chinese Literary Style, and the Economic Imagination. Cambridge & London: Harvard University Press.
- Creak, Simon, 2015. Embodied Nation. Sport, Masculinity, and the Making of Modern Laos. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
- Firpo, Christina Elizabeth, 2016. The Uprooted. Race, Children, and Imperialism in French Indochina, 1890-1980. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
- Huebner, Stefan, 2016. Pan-Asian Sports and the Emergence of Modern Asia 1913-1974. Singapore: NUS Press.
- Jacobowitz, Seth, 2015. Writing Technology in Meiji Japan. A Media History of Modern Japanese Literature and Visual Culture. Cambridge & London: Harvard University Press.
- Leow, Rachel, 2016. Taming Babel. Language in the Making of Malaysia. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Martínez, Julia & Adrian Vickers, 2015. The Pearl Frontier. Indonesian Labor and Indigenous Encounters in Australia’s Northern Trading Network. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
- Musillo, Marco, 2016. The Shining Inheritance. Italian Painters at the Qing Court, 1699-1812. Los Angeles: Getty Publications.
- Park, Sunyoung, 2015. The Proletarian Wave. Literature and Leftist Culture in Colonial Korea 1910-1945. Cambridge & London: Harvard University Press.
- Rouzer, Paul, 2016. On Cold Mountain. A Buddhist Reading of the Hanshan Poems. Seattle & London: University of Washington Press.
- Shimazaki, Datako, 2016. Edo Kabuki in Transition. From the Worlds of the Samurai to the Vengeful Female Ghost. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Sutoris, Peter, 2016. Visions of Development. Films Division of India and the Imagination of Progress, 1948-75. London: Hurst.
- Tiffin, Sarah, 2016. Southeast Asia in Ruins. Art and Empire in the Early 19th Century. Singapore: NUS Press.
Committee: Claudio Pinheiro & Tina Shrestha
- Benjamin, Geoffrey, Temiar Religion 1964-2012. Enchantment, Disenchantment and Re-enchantment in Malaysia’s Uplands. NUS Press: Singapore 2014.
- Bennett, Linda Rae and Sharyn Graham Davies (eds.), Sex and Sexualities in Contemporary Indonesia. Sexual Politics, Health, Diversity and Representations. Routledge: London / New York 2015.
- Breman, Jan, Mobilizing Labour for the Global Coffee Market. Profits from an Unfree Work Regime in Colonial Java. Amsterdam University Press 2015.
- Cornet, Candice and Tami Blumenfield (eds.), Doing Fieldwork in China…with Kids! The Dynamics of Accompanied Fieldwork in the People’s Republic. NIAS Press: Copenhagen 2016.
- Forth, Gregory, Why the Porcupine is not a Bird. Explorations in the Folk Zoology of an Eastern Indonesian People. University of Toronto Press: Toronto / Buffalo / London 2016.
- Fox Brindley, Erica, Ancient China and the Yue. Perceptions and Identities on the Southern Frontier, c. 400 BCE – 50 CE. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge 2015
- Gyatso, Janet, Being Human in a Buddhist World. An Intellectual History of Medicine in Early Modern Tibet. Columbia University Press: New York 2015.
- Kessler, Christl and Stefan Rother, Democratization through Migration? Political Remittances and Participation of Philippine Return Migrants. Lexington Books: Lanham / Boulder / New York / London 2016.
- Li, Jie, Shanghai Homes. Palimpsests of Private Life. Columbia University Press: New York / Chichester 2015.
- McElwee, Pamela D., Forests Are Gold. Trees, People, and Environmental Rule in Vietnam. University of Washington Press: Seattle / London 2016.
- Pande, Amrita, Wombs in Labor. Transnational Commercial Surrogacy in India. Columbia University Press: New York / Chichester 2014.
- Peterson, William. Places for Happiness. Community, Self, and Performance in the Philippines. University of Hawai’i Press: Honolulu 2015.
- Űnaldi, Serhat, Working Towards the Monarchy. The Politics of Space in Downtown Bangkok. University of Hawai’i Press: Honolulu 2016.
- Vermeulen, Han F., Before Boas. The Genesis of Ethnography and Ethnology in the German Enlightenment. University of Nebraska Press: Lincoln / London 2015.
- Widmer, Ellen, Fiction’s Family. Zhan Xi, Zhan Kai, and the Business of Women in Late-Qing China. Harvard University Asia Center: Cambridge / London 2016.
ICAS 10 Dissertation Prize Social Sciences
Judge: Tutin Aryant
- Alatas, Ismail Fajrie. Aligning the Sunna and the Jama’a: Religious Authority and Islamic Social Formation in Contemporary Central Java, Indonesia. University of Michigan
- Ang, Sylvia. The Social Imaginaries Of Chinese-Ness: Locals And Migrants In Contemporary Singapore. University of Melbourne
- Åsman, Susanne. Bombay Going: Migration, Return and Anti-trafficking in the Lives of Nepali Migrant Sex Workers. Gothenburg University
- Bharat, Gauri. Place-making Through Practice: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Santal Architectural History. East Anglia University
- Irawanto, Budi. Emancipating Desire, Empowering Fantasy: Cultural Politics of Contemporary Cinema in Indonesia and Malaysia. National University of Singapore
- Itani, Satoko. Japanese Female and ‘Trans’ Athletes: Negotiating Subjectivity and Media Constructions of Gender, Sexuality, and Nation. University of Toronto
- Klingberg, Travis. Exploring Place: How Independent Tourism is Changing the Politics of Geographic Knowledge in China. Colorado University
- Liu, Peng. Body in the Forbidden City. Curtin University
- Romanowicz, Anna. The Activities of Feminist Non-governmental Organizations in Delhi. An Anthropological Case Study. Adam Mickiewicz University
- Rowen, Ian. The Geopolitics of Tourism: Mobility, Territory, and Protest in Taiwan and China. Colorado University
- Sebro, Tani H. Dancing the Nation: The Politics of Exile, Mobility and Displacement along the Thai-Burma Border. University of Hawaiʻi
- Sila, Muhammad Adlin. Being Muslim in Bima of Sumbawa, Indonesia: Practice, Politics and Cultural Diversity. Australia National University
ICAS 10 Dissertation Prize Humanities
Judge: Deokhyo Choi
- Absaroka, Ruard. Hidden Musicians and Public Musicking in Shanghai. School of Oriental and African Studies
- Chan Nadine. A Cinema under the Palms: The Unruly Lives of Colonial Educational Films in British Malaya. University of Southern California
- Hellman, Lisa. Navigating the Foreign Quarters: Everyday Life of the Swedish East India Company Employees in Canton and Macao 1730–1830. Stockholm University
- Kim, Jeehey.Death and Photography in East Asia: Funerary Use of Portrait Photography. City University of New York
- Low, Yvonne. Women artists: Becoming professional in Singapore, Malaya and Indonesia. University of Sydney
- Luttikhuis, Bart. Negotiating Modernity: Europeanness in Late Colonial Indonesia, 1910-1942. European University
- Pham, Charlotte Minh Hà. A Maritime Cultural Landscape of Cochin china: The South China Sea, Maritime Routes, Navigation, and Boats in Pre-colonial Central Vietnam. Murdoch University
- Supartono, Alexander. Re-Imag(In)Ing History: Photography and the Sugar Industry in Colonial Java. St Andrews
- Thurston, Timothy. Laughter from the Grasslands: A Diachronic Study of A mdo Tibetan Comedy and the Public Intellectual in Western China. Ohio State University.
- Tsui Lik Hang. Writing Letters in Song China (960-1279): A Study of its Political, Social, and Cultural Uses. Oxford University
- Zovo, Cecilia Dal. Archaeology of a Sacred Mountain: Mounds, Water, Mobility, and Cosmologies of Ikh Bogd Uul, Eastern Altai Mountains, Mongolia. University of Santiago de Compostela
- Fedman, David. The Saw and the Seed: Japanese Forestry in Colonial Korea, 1895-1945. Stanford University